top of page

​"I'm having suicidal thoughts - what can I do?"


Suicidal thoughts often result from feelings of uncertainty. 

Uncertainty, (as it relates to suicide), can be described as the internal struggle between wanting to live and wanting to die, but ultimately it's about wanting to end the emotional pain. 

Many people report that they would choose to live if their emotional pain would go away. 

There are many support services in East Central Alberta that can help you during this difficult time. These support agencies may be able to help you find ways to reduce the pain that you are experiencing. Please choose the ones that are right for you.  


If you are in immediate physical danger, please dial 911.   


If there is immediate risk of physical injury or death

You are not alone. Help is available.

Find safe transportation to your local emergency hospital


    Dial 911

Call a confidential 24-Hour crisis line

Provincial Help Lines:

Mental Health Help Line: 1-877-303-2642

Distress Line (AB): 1-800-661-4606
Addictions Help Line: 1-866-332-2322
Crisis Services Canada: 1-833-456-4566
Kids Help Line: 1-800-668-6868
Rural Distress Line (CMHA): 1-800-232-7288

East-Central Alberta Crisis Numbers​


The Crisis Support Centre (Edmonton): 1-780-482-HELP (4357)

Distress Line (Vermillion and area):1-800-661-4606

St. Paul & District Crisis Centre: 1-800-263-3045 OR 1-780-645-5195 

(serves all of Alberta and NE Saskatchewan)


Find a mental health professional near you

Lloydminster, Vermillion, Wainwright, Provost and Area

Counselling Services


Camrose, Hardisty, Killam, Lamont, Vegreville, Two Hills and Area

Counselling Services

  • Camrose Mental Health Clinic

    • 780-679-1241

  • Camrose Addiction Office

    • 780-672-1181

  • Hardisty Mental Health Clinic

    • 780-888-8317

  • Killam Mental Health Clinic

    • 780-385-7161

  • Lamont Mental Health Clinic

    • 780-895-5823

  • Tofield Mental Health Clinic

    • 780-662-7067

  • Vegreville Mental Health Clinic

    • 780-632-2714

  • Veg-Al Drug Society

    • 780-632-6617

Consider requesting a referral into a temporary inpatient mental health service

Inpatient Mental Health Programs
  • If you pose a high risk to your personal safety, you may wish to request a referral to a temporary inpatient mental health service until some of your pain and suicidal thoughts begin to decrease/diminish.


Please note: Requesting a referral does not guarantee admission. Professionals at your local emergency hospital can provide support and referrals to inpatient programs in the following communities if they feel that it will be beneficial to you (Red Deer, Edmonton, Ponoka, North Battleford, Calgary, Saskatoon, Regina).​


Edmonton: U of A Hospital Acute Adult Inpatient Mental Health Service (24 hrs/day)

  • A psychiatrist is available on-site 24 hrs/day to provide referral into this program.  To find out more about this service please click here


North Battleford: PNHRA Adult Inpatient Mental Health Services

  • Intake and inquiries (M-F during business hours):  306-446-6500

Find a walk-in outpatient mental health service

Covenant Health Outpatient Walk-In Clinic


  • Camrose: St. Mary's Psychiatry Unit

  • Walk-in services every Tuesday from                          8:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. (no appointment is necessary)

  • Services include assessment, individual psychotherapy sessions, and referrals.

  • For more information call:  780-679-6131 

Last Updated by the RSPC: August 2015
bottom of page